With the warmer weather come the plans for recreation, outdoor celebrations, and vacations. While the temperature begins to rise, we can already envision what Summer will be like.
When the temperatures rise, there are some simple measures we can take to get our homes ready, particularly the attic space and the roof.
Preparing the Attic
The attic space is often forgotten about. However, it can be a critical space when it comes to keeping the home cool in hot weather. The temperature in the attic can get up to 150 degrees. That means the air conditioner or central air system will have to work much harder to maintain a comfortable temperature. Lack of adequate insulation can lead to a build-up of moisture. This can sometimes be worse when bathroom and kitchen exhausts are not installed or working correctly. Any source of moisture and mold in the attic can lead to problems with mold or expensive repairs.
Fixing exhausts that were not installed properly can reduce moisture build up. Such repairs can also reduce the heat in the attic. Fixes for improperly installed exhausts usually involve rerouting them. But, faulty exhausts are not the only problem. Here are some additional suggestions for preparing the attic for hot Summers:
- Inspect exhaust fans and to make sure they’re working as they should and are vented correctly.
- Check to see that drains and gutters are clean and free of large debris that can cause water to back up.
- Inspect the attic and roof for any signs of potential repair issues or leaks. Small areas can rapidly become large and expensive to fix. Call a roofing company for a free inspection to check for any potential problems. A roof in good repair doesn’t have any loose shingles or tile. A properly maintained attic has plenty of insulation in good condition and dry.
- Inspect the attic for any signs of pests. Infestations can lead to structural damage. Call an insect or pest control service if any signs of insects are present.
- It’s always a good idea to inspect the attic or roof when someone else is around to help, for safety reasons. Roofers are experienced in checking the roof so if you’re uncertain about getting on the roof, call a roofing company. We offer free summer roofing inspections, to help you make sure your roof and attic are ready for the warmer weather. Small problems found now can help eliminate costly repair bills or higher cooling bills over the Summer.
We would be glad to schedule a free inspection of your roof, to ensure your Summer is free of roofing and attic issues and your air conditioning system doesn’t have to work overtime to keep the indoors cool.
And for more great roof maintenance tips, check out this video from our friends!: